My Summer Skin Essentials
Like most Asians I’m not a sun-worshipper. I avoid sun exposure like I avoid coughing people on the plane.
Do I carry an umbrella on the golf course? Absolutely, without shame. Big hats and sunglasses, check, check, check…
My incorrigible desire to defend my skin from the harsh effects of the sun, probably borders on obsession to an extent. As I know I am not alone in this search for the best skincare products for sun protection, I thought I would share a few of the products that I have used over the years. Thankfully, I have gotten very good results from all of these products, hope you do too.
- Clarins UV Plus HP Day Screen High Protection. This has to be my favorite facial sunscreen ever. Aside from the SPF 40 Broad Spectrum (for me anything over SPF 30 for the face is always better), it also has antioxidants. If I have to put makeup on in the morning, this product saves me a lot of time because I find that I can skip day serums because of its anti-pollution properties. It goes on wonderfully under makeup and it smells really nice compared to most sunscreens I have used in the past.
- Senka by Shiseido Mineral Sun Lotion 50. I discovered this Japanese sunscreen in Singapore years ago and I still stock them up like crazy. It’s very reasonably priced for the quality you get, so it’s perfect for everyday use. It has a milky texture and absorbs quickly into the skin. It doesn’t ball up under makeup and it does not leave a tacky, oily residue.
- La Roche Posay Anthelios 50. This mineral sunscreen is a must-stay in my kit when I go to the beach or hang out in the pool. My house in the States is by the beach, so I always keep this one handy at all times. I love the matte finish of Anthelios sans makeup but I still find it a little greasy if I have to pile on other skin products. On its own, it’s a very reliable sunscreen and it’s worth all the buzz.
- Peter Thomas Roth Instant Mineral Powder SPF30. It’s a sunscreen in powder form. Genius. You did your makeup and you’re going to an outdoor lunch…you can’t just slap on a creamy sunscreen over your perfectly done face right? Well, that is what this product is for. The translucent powder is perfect for SPF touchups throughout the day. The pull-on brush is a little tricky but still saves you from a lotion explosion mess.
- Fasio Smooth Off Multi Block UV Screen By Kose. Another Japanese pharmacy lucky find. It is very similar to Senka but a tad bit oilier. I don’t use it as much as I do in the winter. The extra moisture gives my skin a little luminosity in the dry months. It also has SPF 50, so that’s a big plus.
For the Body:
- Shiseido Ultimate Sun Protection Lotion SPF 60. I have used this lotion for as long as I remember. Nothing has ever come close (in my opinion) to this product for body sunscreens. I’m sure there are other (less expensive) options out there but I really love the smell of this sunscreen and I can’t part with it. It absorbs into the skin quickly and it doesn’t leave a tacky feel or a white ghost cast.
- Bioderma Photoderm Max SPF 100. My husband makes fun of me when he sees me use this product. He says it’s almost equivalent to putting on 10 flannel shirts while sunbathing. I know. The SPF 100 is pretty redundant, but hey, the higher the better right? Although it’s maximum sun protection, this lotion actually feels very light. The formula is milky and I feel that my skin can breathe. I have a friend that has ultra sensitive skin and this is the only sunscreen she can use. So if you are sensitive to most sun care products, this might work for you.
What are your summer skin essentials? I’d love to know!
Enjoy your summer and Happy Shopping! xx